Sunday, January 13, 2008

Driving a van full of kids around, we stop at a gas station that's next to a hotel. For some reason we have to stay here for a long time, sitting on the curb. Two women emerge from the hotel, one of them is screaming. "You want to take my money?" she screams at the other women. It looks like one is only partially dressed and has a bedsheet wrapped around her. The screamer keeps walking, right past us, but the other woman catches up and attacks her. I realize we have to leave because the fat man who runs the gas station is looking for me, although he doesn't know what I look like because I'm a lot older than when he last saw me.

Drive to my parent's old house in Baldwin. Relatives are getting in the van now. One of my uncles has a girlfriend who seems a little off. Roby and I sit in the kitchen and overhear her tell somebody else that she's (the girlfriend has) started doing crack again. But just a little bit. Seconds after she enters the room, I make a comment about her doing crack and she gets real offended. I realize I didn't mean to let on that I had heard, but I couldn't think of anything else so as soon as my mouth opened, I said it-- I said, "So how is more crack going?" or something like that.

When everyone's in the van, we depart. There's a DVD player in the van and somebody puts in a video that seems to be just a camera on the dashboard of a van, pointing out towards the road as the van drives through a rural part of England. Somebody says this is footage of how to get to wherever we're going from Leafy John's farm. On one hand, this seems good, because I don't know how to get where we're going and I'm driving. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure we left from my parents' old place, so we're not in England, so I don't know how the video will help. On the other hand, I kind of know Leafy John so maybe I could ask him about it. I turn around and ask him. He says not to drive on any of the bamboo ramps that are set up around the farms, they're not safe.

We drive up a stone stairway. The middle of the stairway is cut out, it drops straight down, so it's maybe more like two narrow stairways side by side. In the little hole in the middle, at the bottom, a young monkey sits with a chick he found. The monkey smooshes the chick up against his one eye gleefully, hurting the shit out of it. Then he smooshes it into his other eye until the chick is dead, then he eats it, happily. There's blood on and around his eyes and I can't tell if it's his or the chick's.